New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was challenged by casino workers over jobs, as three of this city’s casinos face imminent closing. Christie, who was at Ocean City Town Hall to discuss pension reforms, was greeted on his arrival by a group of workers from the threatened Revel, Showboat and Trump Plaza, chanting ‘Save our Jobs’ and ‘Five Year Promise.’
Last year Christie issued a five-year plan that promised to repair the New Jersey economy, providing millions of bucks every year to bring more routes to the Atlantic City airport, promote more convention business and raise private investment into the casino market.
Revel was a ingredient that is key Christie’s designs for Atlantic City. Conceived before the recession, construction of the Revel project started in 2008, simply once the economic downturn hit, and Revel Inc discovered it self in financial dire straits, specially when backers, Morgan Stanley, pulled out soon after.
The whole project has been a complete catastrophe, consistently losing profits since it opened in 2012 and much more recently hemorrhaging $2 million each week
Christie, for whom Revel represented the promise of a gleaming, revitalized Atlantic City, intervened with a $261 million dollar bailout in tax credits and new loan, hopeless to see the $2.4 billion project through to conclusion.
Has the Five plan Failed year?
There are few better symbols for the failure for the plan that is five-year then, than the recent news that Revel will close on September 1st. The whole project has been a complete disaster, consistently losing money since it opened in 2012 and now hemorrhaging $2 million each week.
Utilizing the Showboat and the Trump Plaza also more likely to close next few months, increasing unemployment produced by the closure for the Atlantic Club at the start of the year, casino workers are now action that is demanding reassurance.
‘ For anyone individuals who we saw I hear you,’ Christie told the crowd as I was walking in chanting, ‘Save our jobs. ‘I have always been plugged in, I am paying attention and i’m working.’ But he additionally stated that while his administration had been working with private companies to locate more jobs, there is little he could do to force the casinos to stay open.
Summit to Address Future of AC
Christie announced the previous day that a summit would be held on September 8, in which political leaders and casino industry officials to go over a method forward for Atlantic City. Nevertheless, Showboat worker of 27 years Cindy Pemberton told Christie that it is too little, too late. ‘If we wait a couple of weeks, Showboat is closed,’ she said.
‘The government can’t purchase private companies to do things,’ Christie told her. ‘ And also you don’t desire to live in a world where we do … What you’re asking me to do is become the CEO of Showboat. I don’t wish to run Showboat.
‘[We’re] trying to create a remedy that could assist you among others save your jobs,’ he added. ‘That’s just what our goal is.’
The Governor additionally told the crowd that he is ‘thinking about’ a 2016 presidential run. In reaction to a concern from the public, he said: ‘It is an decision that is enormous make not just for me, but my family. Probably by the end of the year or the beginning of next I’ll decide.’
Whitey Bulger Appeals 2013 Conviction
Whitey Bulger says he had been banned to present an immunity defense at his 2013 test. (Image: NewRepublic.com)
James ‘Whitey’ Bulger was convicted on 31 counts year that is last including charges linked to his involvement in 11 murders. That was enough to earn the former mastermind that is criminal FBI informant two consecutive life terms in prison and a cell at the United States Penitentiary in Tucson, Arizona.
But if anyone thought that Bulger was going down with out a fight, he’s intending to prove them wrong.
Attorneys for Bulger are asking a federal appeals court to overturn his conviction for playing those 11 murders, arguing that the judge in case ‘constitutionally deprived Mr. Bulger of his right presenting an effective defense.’
That argument is presented in a filing that is 201-page had been sent to the US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit by attorneys Hank Brennan and James Budreau.
Bulger Wanted to Testify
According to solicitors, Bulger wanted to just take the stand in his very own defense during the trial. However, US District Judge Denise Casper had banned Bulger from telling the jury that he had been guaranteed immunity from all crimes by a now-dead prosecutor that is federal.
‘The court ruled that the defense could perhaps not raise the immunity defense at trial in any form, including the defendant’s very own testimony at trial,’ Bulger’s appropriate team penned. ‘This error effected the fairness that is fundamental of Bulger’s trial and his convictions should be automatically reversed as a result.’
Bulger, who is now 84 years old, planned to tell jurors that prosecutor Jeremiah T. O’Sullivan had promised him immunity that is complete exchange for Bulger’s vow to safeguard ‘his life.’ But Judge Casper would not allow that defense, stating that Bulger had no documentation to support his claims, and that regardless if this kind of agreement had taken place, O’Sullivan had no authority to offer such a promise.
The defense in turn argued that as the head of the New England Organized Crime Strike Force, O’Sullivan could make such a indeed deal.
With no cap ability to bring this defense up, lawyers say that Bulger ended up being left with no reason to testify in his own defense at last summer’s trial.
Prosecutors Dispute Claims
Prosecutors, however, tell a different story about what happened at the trial that is sensational. According to former assistant US attorney Brian T. Kelly, several judges had offered Bulger the chance to present an immunity defense before the trial itself, but he had made the tactical decision to decline that opportunity.
‘no license was had by him to kill or other slot freebies lightning link immunity agreement, in which he repeatedly failed to simply take the opportunity to present it,’ Kelly said.
Instead, prosecutors claim, Bulger likely did not take the stand to prevent a cross-examination in which he’d experienced to answer endless questions about his roles in crimes, such as the 19 murders he had been accused of participating in.
Ultimately, the jury discovered that Bulger participated in 11 murders, while finding that prosecutors had unsuccessful to offer evidence that is enough convict him on seven others. On the final count, which involved the murder of Debra Davis in 1981, the jury was not able to reach a verdict.
Bulger’s solicitors defended their client by wanting to refute much of what appeared in Bulger’s FBI informant file, which alleged which he served as an informant from 1975 to 1990. In their appeal, the lawyers state that Bulger wanted to testify to ‘the systemic corruption that existed into the federal government during the 1970s through 1990s plus the governmental and institutional motivations that led Jeremiah O’Sullivan and also the Strike Force to provide immunity to James Bulger.’
Massachusetts Casino Repeal Campaigns Begin
Anti-casino groups are gearing up for another battle ahead of a repeal vote november. (Image: The Republican)
The Massachusetts casino repeal vote promises become one of the biggest gaming that is political of 2014.
It pits major casino developers and their supporters against anti-casino advocates who are hoping to move back what the law states that allowed for three casinos and a slot parlor to be integrated the state. And with under three months until that vote will take place, it is time for the genuine campaigning to begin.
Both pro- and anti-casino forces have announced they’ll be starting up their campaign operations this week in an effort to persuade voters to come straight down on their side of the issue that is contentious.
The statewide vote, planned for November, will determine whether the state’s casino legislation will likely be repealed, or if casino developers can go forward along with their plans to build Las Vegas-style resorts.
Political Groups Start Lining Through To Both Sides
On the side that is pro-casino efforts be seemingly led by the Committee to safeguard Massachusetts Jobs. The group that is political funded primarily by MGM Resorts, Mohegan Sun and Penn National, said on Monday they’ve been get yourself ready for three weeks to launch ‘an substantial ground effort.’
Pro-casino forces have touted the thousands of jobs they say will be created in the event that casinos are allowed become operated and built into the state
Are going to compared by anti-casino groups like Repeal the Casino Deal, the company that successfully been able to get the repeal question on the ballot in the first place. That group says that they started their own canvassing and field companies this past weekend.
For ‘Repeal,’ the objective appears to be reaching out to undecided voters that may be persuaded to oppose the casino bill, especially those in communities which haven’t yet considered casinos and hence might be less educated in the problem.
‘The casino bosses want to ensure this campaign is about everything apart from casinos—with a group that conveniently departs casinos out of its title and website, materials and campaign theme which conveniently ignores the very real impacts this casino mess with have on communities,’ said campaign spokesman Stephen Eisele.
Meanwhile, pro-casino forces have touted the thousands of jobs they say will be developed in the event that casinos are allowed to be built and operated within the state. The website for the Committee to safeguard Massachusetts Jobs additionally lists a quantity of prominent people and groups that support their efforts, including legislators, chambers of commerce and labor unions.
Grassroots Effort vs. Casino Money
While Repeal the Casino Deal can’t aspire to compete with the money that may be invested by the casino companies, they hope their grassroots efforts can produce results. The group already boasts nearly 1,000 volunteers who canvass and work phone banks to out get their message.
‘We have the more voters learn about casinos, the less likely they’ll be to vote for them,’ stated campaign manager Darek Barcikowski. ‘we believe you’ll agree gambling enterprises are not economic engines; they truly are economic floor cleaners. if you look at Atlantic City as well as other communities that purchased into the promises of casinos,’
Even though the results of the November vote certainly have the possibility high drama, there are still other issues that require to be sorted out in the meantime. Many prominently, the battle for the Greater Boston area casino license is still become determined. Wynn Resorts wants to create a casino in Everett, while Mohegan Sun and Suffolk Downs are proposing a resort in Revere. The state gaming commission is anticipated to award a license to 1 of those bids by September.